CONTACT US

Please fill out our

Contact Form

Or email us at:

colerainehistorical

@outlook.com

The Coleraine Historical Society Inc.

PO BOX 53726

Colerain Twp., OH 45253

Next Meeting -              Feb 20, 2019   Author JEFF SEUSS "Hidden Cincinnati History"

See Meetings Page for more details

PUBLIC WELCOME Bring a friend!

Get Social.

Connect with us on

Facebook to learn about upcoming projects and volunteer opportunities.

CHS is now part of Butler Rural Electric Cooperative"s "Co-op Connections". Get $5 off first year's membership.

Fort Dunlap Photo
Fort Dunlap Photo
The Coleraine Historical Society Inc.
The Coleraine Historical Society Inc.

Coleraine Historical Society Museum

The Museum is located at 4725 Springdale Road,

between Colerain Park and Colerain Elementary.

 

CURRENT EXHIBIT                  January through April 2018

 

"Remembering Colerain Schools"      

 

                    

History

The Early Years – Prior to any organized school system, there were 5 one-room schoolhouses and 2 two-room schoolhouses that were consolidated from the area that now encompass the Northwest School District. The schools taught students in grades 1 through 8. Children walked or rode in trucks to school. Most of the families in the area were farmers, so when the children were needed for planting and harvesting, schools closed.

 In 1924, the township decided to build one central school for grades one through eight. They chose the name Colerain Centralized School. That meant that many of the one-room and two-room schoolhouses were combined into one central school. The original Colerain Centralized School is now Colerain Elementary School.

 In 1930, Colerain High School was built next to Colerain Centralized School. Clarence Struble was the first superintendent of the Colerain Township School District, and Harry Taylor was the first principal. The school district continued to grow, and by 1958 there were 3603 pupils and 113 teachers at the Poole Road site.

In 1960, 5,115 pupils, 154 teachers and seven administrators were housed in four buildings. Today, there are just under 9000 students, 550 teachers and twenty-five building administrators housed in 13 buildings.

reprinted from Northwest Local School District History  https://www.nwlsd.org/about/our-history--5/

 

 

Museum is open to the public

the second and fourth Saturdays of each month.

 

Hours 10:00am to 2:00pm

 

Free admission

 

 

For appointments to tour the Museum at other times, individuals or groups may call  Museum Trustee Larry Shad at 513-479-2214 

 

 

New to researching your Family Tree?

We can help! 

Museum has lots of  "how to" genealogy books, and links to websites.

 

Discover your Colerain Township roots with our files on families in Colerain Township

 

In October 2012 the Coleraine Historical Society opened the:

Colerain Historical Society Museum                        

 

Exhibits in the Museum rotate quarterly, with such recent displays as Civil War, School Days and the Barns of Colerain Township.

 

We have books, historical documents, pictures, maps and genealogy information available to the public for research. 

 

We also have back issues of our newsletter, the Pageant, available for review.

 

On permanent display,at the Colerain Township Administration Building

we have a scale model of Dunlap’s Station,

built by member Bob Muehlenhard.

Print Print | Sitemap
© The Coleraine Historical Society Inc.